Saturday, March 15, 2014

2014 Spring Anime Season Preview

Hello, hello, once again we are almost at the spring season! This is a painfully long list and god knows how time consuming it is to sift through each one. What keeps me going is the knowledge that somewhere down the list will be a show I actually want to talk about, even if I have to go through hell to get there. Kay, a bit exaggerated, but you get the point.

Anyhow, with the exclusion of carryovers and two wonderful Bones shows, the Winter lineup was pretty dreary. I'm not sure if it's me being overly critical or this season is still pretty thin by spring standard. Aside from Mushishi, there isn't a single show I think I can bank on, which is pretty sad for the length of this preview. Don't get me wrong, I think there are quite a few series with potential, but that's exactly where things are at – potential with a lot of uncertainty. It will become more apparent once the season settles in, for now let's take a look at the candidates.

Charts:
via Neregate
via AniChart

All information credit goes to ANN and MAL


Abarenbou Kishi!! Matsutarou


[Manga] ANN | PV
Studio: Toei Animation
Director:
Series Composition:
Genre:
Synopsis:
"Matsutarou Sakaguchi is a giant roughneck man with strength far beyond ordinary people. He never uttered words like "work hard," "strive," and "dream" like the typical shounen manga protagonist. However, he is stronger than anyone and peerless in sumo wrestling. His greatest weakness is his own carefree personality. He grows into a full-fledged sumo wrestler." 

Expectation: low 
Personally, I've always find sumo wrestling hard to appreciate, so I'm going to give it a pass. 


Akuma no Riddle


[Manga] ANN | PV
Studio: Diomedea
Director: Keizou Kusakawa
Series Composition: Kiyoko Yoshimura
Genre: action, school, yuri 
Synopsis:
"The story is set at Myoujou Academy, a private girls' boarding school. The 10th year's Kurogumi class has 12 assassins with their sights on one target, Haru Ichinose. Tokaku Azuma is a recent transfer student who is also targeting Ichinose, but she gradually develops feelings for Ichinose."

Expectation: none
The director's got ecchi, fanservice and harem stamped all over his resume, might as well add yuri to complete the list. If it helps, I like the art work, but I'm clearly not the intended audience. Skipped. 




Escha & Logy no Atelier: Tasogare no Sora no Renkinjutsushi


[Game] ANN | PV
Studio: Studio Gokumi
Director: Yoshiaki Iwasaki
Series Composition: Tatsuhiko Urahata
Genre: fantasy
Synopsis:
"This world has gone through many Dusks, and is slowly nearing its end. Within this world, in the western reaches of the "Land of Dusk," there was a nation that prospered thanks to its use of alchemy. There, in order to survive the eventual arrival of the "Dusk End," the people devoted their efforts to rediscover and recreate lost alchemic technologies. Rediscovered technology from the past era was gathered in the alchemy research city known as "Central," where research was conducted on how to halt the advance of the twilight."

Expectation: low
I might check out the first episode, but I think we would all agree that games don't make the best source material for anime adaptions. It's one of those things made for the fans of the game, which does little for the rest of us not acquainted with the source. 


Baby Steps


[Manga] ANN | PV
Studio: Pierrot
Director: Masahiko Murata
Series Composition: Katsuhiko Chiba
Genre: romance, slice of life, sports 
Synopsis:
"Maruo Eiitirou (E-Chan), a first year honor student, one day decides he's unhappy with the way things are and lacks exercise. He finds a flyer for the Tennis Club and decides to check it out. He's instantly captivated by it.
With no prior experience and poor physical conditioning, join E-Chan as he embarks on a tennis journey using his smarts, dedication, and work ethic."

Expectation: low
Is it just me or are we getting all sorts of sport anime this season. Not that I'm complaining, give me a sport anime over sparkly idol drama any day. The pedigree involved here isn't particularly flashy, but there is plenty of veteran experience at display. I might check it out if my schedule doesn't end up too cluttered.  


Black Bullet


[Light Novel] ANN | PV
Studio: Kinema Citrus
Director: Masayuki Kojima
Series Composition: Tatsuhiko Urahata
Genre: action, mystery, sci-fi 
Synopsis:
"A near future, where humans have been defeated by the viral parasites named Gastrea. They have been exiled into a small territory and live in despair, side-by-side in terror. In this world trapped in darkness—
Rentaro, a boy living near Tokyo and member of the "Civil Security"—an organization specializing in fighting against the Gastrea—is used to accomplishing dangerous tasks. His partner is Enju, a precocious young girl. They fight thanks to their peculiar powers until one day, when they receive a special assignment from the government. This top secret mission is to prevent the destruction of Tokyo..."

Expectation: medium
Kinema Citrus hasn't really left any remarkable impression on me lately. Barring anything that's a collaboration with Bones, its output has been quite forgettable on the whole. If It wants people to stop referring to it as the shadow studio branched off from Bones, then it seriously needs to pick better source material or push for higher quality with their adaptions. I think they have a shot with Black Bullet. It's got a pretty damn good director and a capable writer on board, so hopefully the potential won't go to waste. I still think it will be a hit or miss show, mostly because the premise is generic, not painfully, but enough to put me on the fence from the getgo. It's also based on a light novel, which automatically raises red flags for me. The PV looks edgy enough and let's just hope they can sustain that kind of quality for the entirety of show. 


Blade and Soul


[Game] ANN | PV1 PV2
Studio: Gonzo 
Director: Hiroshi Hamasaki
Series Composition: Atsuhiro Tomioka
Genre: fantasy, action 
Synopsis:
"The story revolves around Alka, a female swordswoman who uses a blade that can cut enemies with one attack. Alka travels in order to get revenge for her teacher, Hon, who was killed. The one who killed him was Jin Valel, a woman who heartlessly steals the lives of people like a monster. However, as she is part of the same assassination clan, the "Blade Clan," she feels that she is similar to her. During her travels, Alka meets three women. The master of song and dance Karen, the alcohol and gun-loving Hazuki, and Roana, the head of a band of thieves."

Expectation: low
I'm desperately trying to believe boobs are not the selling point here, but gosh that PV isn't leaving me a lot of room for optimism. It's uncomfortably reminiscent of Queens Blade, but much watered down. Maybe I'm being too dismissive seeing as Hiroshi Hamasaki (Steins;Gate) is steering the ship, but I just don't feel like it will be my cup of tea. Oh look, it's also a game adaption and those rarely, if ever, work out.


Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou


[Manga] ANN | PV
Studio: Brains Base
Director: Shigeyuki Miya
Series Composition: Takeshi Konuta
Genre: comedy, romance, slice of life 
Synopsis:
"Usa, a high-school student aspiring to begin a bachelor lifestyle, moves into a new apartment only to discover that he not only shares a room with a perverted roommate that has an obsession for underaged girls, but also that another girl, Ritsu, a love-at-first-sight, is living in the same building as well!"

Expectation: low
Ugh......guuuhhhhh....obsession for underaged girls...I can't get pass it no matter how much comedy they can wrestle out of the notion. I mean really?! Anyways, putting my own doubts aside, it's got a pretty strong creative team, namely the duo that brought you the quirky Blood Lad (also produced by Brains Base), so there is some assurance to be had there. Most romcoms don't strike a cord with me, and compounded by the questionable premise, it probably won't make it to my schedule. 


Break Blade


[Manga] ANN | PV
Studio: Production I.G
Director: Tetsuro Amino
Series Composition: Masashi Sogo
Genre: mecha, action, drama, fantasy 
Synopsis:
"In the continent of Cruzon, an impending war between the Kingdom of Krisna and the nation of Athens is brimming. The people of this land are able to use quartz for whatever purpose they desire. Yet one person, Rygart Arrow, is not. He is an "un-sorcerer," a person unable to use quartz. But this characteristic will enable him to pilot an ancient Golem, one strong enough to put up a fight against the invading army of Athens."



Expectation: medium
As much as I like the Break Blade movie series, I'm not sure what the purpose is to bring it back in the form of TV compilation. More exposure perhaps? I guess the big question is how much new material is added. I might give it an episode or two to see what they are actually doing with the story, if it turns out to be little more than the word "compilation" suggests, then I will probably leave the revisit for later. I'm very curious to what they will do for the ending as the final installment was rushed to a frustrating degree and didn't offer a whole lot of closure. Likely they will have to smooth out the transition between major plot points to better fit the TV format and while they are at it, I think it's a perfect chance to rectify some of the flaws of the films. In any case, I do highly recommend it for those seeing it for the first time. The story is engaging and the action, as expected by Production I.G standard, is nothing short of stellar. Mecha junkies are in for a treat. 


Captain Earth


[Original] ANN | PV
Studio: BONES
Director: Takuya Igarashi
Series Composition: Yoji Enokido
Genre: mecha, action, sci-fi
Synopsis:
"One night right before summer vacation, Daichi Manatsu, a second-year in high school, sees a weird round rainbow floating in the sky above Seed Island (Shuushi/Tane Island) and ventures there alone. He has seen this rainbow before. With the memories of his father's mysterious death and an encounter of a mysterious boy and girl, Daiji arrives on the island while the alarm of a building labeled "Earth Engine" is going off. Someone asks him "Are you a captain?" just as robotic intruders from Uranus called "Kiltgang" arrive. The battle around the shining stars is about to begin."

Expectation: medium ~ high 
Bones and mecha, need I say more? Clearly not every Bones mecha show is a masterpiece, but even my least favourite offering from them – Star Driver – has its moments of brilliance. This is a studio that doesn't compromise their integrity for commercial gains and it's just nice to have them back on the radar again on the mecha front. That said, I do have my concerns with Captain Earth – it bears more semblance to a Sunrise series than a Bones one. Bones original mecha offerings are compelling precisely because they feel and look different from what Sunrise usually does. But what I can gather from Captain Earth so far is dangerously close to something out of a Gundam franchise. Okay, maybe save for the rainbow bit – that's a pretty common Bones motif and because everything is better with rainbow, I hope it would continue to be the case here. Most of the staff on board have previously worked on Star Driver and as I said, it's my least favourite mecha show from the studio, for the simple reason that it lacks the narrative nuances that I love to explore. Star Driver prioritized style over substance and the team was well aware of what they compromised – a coherent story – for their unabashed visual creativity. But Captain Earth without question operates in a well treaded, conventional ground, so let's see if Enokido unleashes his narrative prowess that is evidently part of his talent repertoire.


Fairy Tail (2014)


[Manga] ANN | PV
Studio: A-1 Pictures
Director: Shinji Ishihira
Series Composition: Masashi Sogo
Genre: adventure, comedy, fantasy, shonen
Synopsis:

Expectation: Low 
I haven't seen the first version of Fairy Tail and likely I won't get around to watch the second, at least not during the immediate season. Though I have been meaning to pick it up for sometime, maybe an updated version is the motivation I need. From what I gather it's a remake/reboot/restart as opposed to a continuation. Is that a good thing? I have no idea, fans be the judge.






Futsuu no Joshikousei ga [Locodol] Yatte Mita.


[Manga] ANN | PV
Studio: Feel
Director: Nawa, Munenori 
Series Composition: Ayana, Yuniko 
Genre: comedy, seinen
Synopsis:
"The story is about the life of a high school girl, Nanako, and her senpai, Yukari, who end up becoming the town's local idols (locodol) upon the request of her uncle."

Expectation: none
Well, that sure is a mouthful. Oh look, it's another idol show, like we haven't got enough of these already. Skipped. 








Fuuun Ishin Dai☆Shogun


[Original] ANN | PV
Studio: J.C. Staff
Director: Takashi Watanabe
Series Composition: Dai Sato
Genre: action, sci-fi, mecha, historical 
Synopsis:
"In the late Edo period, Japan had experienced an unprecedented crisis by Kurofune (Black Ships), the ships from foreign countries. But a giant robot called Onigami, which has existed since ancient time, dispelled the Kurofune ships and the exclusion of foreigners was accomplished. The story begins in Japan where Meiji restoration in 1868 didn't happen. The tagline says, "I can be the greatest man in the world, because I am a virgin!!""

Expectation: low – medium 
This should make me want to turn away for so many reasons – it's helmed by a director whose works I could care less about, produced by one of my least favourite studios, set in an anachronistic world mixing sci-fi with history (a premise that generally hasn't gone well) AND boasting the dumbest tagline but feeling proud enough to advertise it. But oh boy, I did not ever expect to see the name Dai Sato appearing on the same page as J.C Staff. Really thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, because you know, you would normally associate him with studio (Bones, I.G) that actually has a tradition in sci-fi, and J.C is not really known for their giant robots the last time I checked. But nope, it's the great Dai Sato alright, unless there is another Dai Sato I'm not aware of. In any case, my curiosity is piqued and I will give it a go. Please don't make me lament the fact Dai sensei is working on this. 


Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka?


[Manga] ANN | PV
Studio: WHITE FOX
Director: Hiroyuki Hashimoto
Series Composition: Kazuyuki Fudeyasu
Genre: comedy, slice of life, moe 
Synopsis:
"Cocoa arrives at the cafe Rabbit House one day, excited for rabbits. She actually all but lives in that cafe. She meets lots of different girls there, including a tiny and cool girl named Chino, a tough and soldier-esque girl named Lize, a spacey and quintessentially Japanese girl named Chiyo, and the ordinary but dignified Sharo."

Expectation: none
For a show that panders, it's actually got a pretty solid staff behind the wheels. The director has a strong resume and the writer is a Madhouse veteran. But I foresee no amount of creativity will save it from that unambitious premise. 


Gokukoku no Brynhildr


[Manga] ANN | PV1 PV2
Studio: ARMS
Director: Kenichi Imaizumi
Series Composition: Yukinori Kitajima
Genre: mystery, drama, sci-fi, fantasy, psychological
Synopsis:
"When he was a child, Murakami was infatuated with a girl he called Kuroneko. She insisted on knowing about aliens and having met them, but no one believed her, even young Murakami was skeptical. One day, she decides to show him the aliens, but an accident occurs and Kuroneko dies while Murakami is left seriously wounded in the hospital.

Years go by and Murakami obsesses on finding proof of the existence of aliens because of a promise he had made with Kuroneko. Then, one day, a new transfer student comes to his class, who not only looks a lot like Kuroneko, but is named Kurohaneko! 
And even though she insists on never having met Murakami before, the girl has superhuman strength and seems to even be able to predict the future!

How will Murakami's life change now that he has been saved by this mysterious girl that claims to be a magician?"


Expectation: low – medium
Intriguing premise, but also questionable on so many levels. Theme wise, it's got all the ingredients I like. I have a feeling it's got a ton of fanservices under the guise, being an ARMS show and all. Again, a weak creative stuff doesn't offer comfort. The jury is out, I will give it an episode or two. 


Haikyuu!!


[Manga] ANN | PV
Studio: Production I.G
Director: Susumu Mitsunaka
Series Composition: Taku Kishimoto
Genre: comedy, slice of life, sports
Synopsis:
"A chance event triggered Shouyou Hinata's love for volleyball. His club had no members, but somehow persevered and finally made it into its very first and final regular match of middle school, where it was steamrolled by Tobio Kageyama, a superstar player known as "King of the Court." Vowing revenge, Hinata applied to the Karasuno High School volleyball club... only to come face-to-face with his hated rival, Kageyama!"

Expectation: low 
I would assume this is Kuroko no Basket take 2, volleyball version. The writer has done great works, Bunny Drop and Silver Spoon, so I would think this is in safe hands script wise. Contrary to what a lot of my friends think, I'm not a Kuroko no Basket hater; in fact, I find it entertaining (in an almost mindless way) and somewhat nostalgic as I used to be a huge fan of Prince of Tennis when I first got into anime. Haikyuu is clearly modelled in the same fashion, not groundbreaking but also not offensive. Though honestly, is Production I.G ever offensive? I call it mainstream wholesome, even their most pandering material is fairly mild and low-key. 


Hitsugi no Chaika


[Manga] ANN | PV
Studio: BONES
Director: Soichi Masui
Series Composition: Touko Machida
Genre: adventure, fantasy, romance 
Synopsis:
"Toru Acura is a 20-year-old retired soldier meandering through life now that the war has ended. He encounters Chaika Trabant, a 14-year-old sorceress carrying a coffin, and follows her in hopes of finding meaning to his life again. The two travel with Toru's adopted sister, Akari, the employed member of the group and thus Toru's source of income."

Expectation: medium 
Spring lineup Bones Part II, introducing lolli sorceress with gun. Can't say I'm fond of the character design, which is a first for me because I'm usually a fan of Bones' visuals. Well, that's the thing, it doesn't looking like something from the studio. Bones is carrying on their 15th anniversary celebration by renewing yet another one of their connections. Histugi no Chaika is the latest work of the creator of Scrapped Princess and it's even got the same director on board. I haven't seen Scrapped Princess, so I can't comment on the quality of writing, but it's a decent show from what I hear. The staff here is nothing too remarkable or surprising. Soichi Masui is a Bones veteran (director of Scrapped Princess) and I trust him to make good decisions. As for Machida, can't say I'm too impressed with her resume – Amnesia is gotta be a dent on anyone's career. I'm on the fence, but it's Bones, so I'll bite. 


Isshuukan Friends.


[Manga] ANN | PV
Studio: Brains Base
Director: Tarou Iwasaki
Series Composition: Shôtarô Suga
Genre: comedy, drama, school
Synopsis:
"Kaori Fujimiya is always alone because all of her happy memories, including time spent with her friends, disappear every Monday. Deciding that he wants to be friends with her anyway, Yuuki Hase tries to get close to Kaori each week, wishing that she would one day call him "a friend.""

Expectation: Medium 
Interesting premise with potential to be emotionally engaging. The pastel palette reminds me of Usagi Drop. I'm a little surprised it's got the "comedy" tag attached to it, because the premise pretty much spells melodrama. I would love to see what comedic moment it can pull. It's got a stellar pedigree – talented director and writer, compounded with Brains Base's wonderful production value. It does run the risk of being saccharine, but for the time being, I'm pretty excited.


Kamigami no Asobi


[Original] ANN | PV
Studio: Brains Base
Director: Tomoyuki Kawamura
Series Composition: Tomoko Konparu
Genre: drama, romance, supernatural, shoujo
Synopsis:
"The story revolves around Kusanagi Yui, who is ordered by Zeus, a god and the headmaster of a school he created, to teach the meaning of love to young and handsome gods. The reason he has for doing this is to cancel the negative effects of the weakening bond between the world of the divine and the world of the humans."

Expectation: none
Is this the way things are going to be with Brains Base? Just when I thought Amnesia was gonna be a one time experiment, Brains Base proves me wrong twice over. This is the third season in a row where the studio adds another shoujo harem self-fufilling show to their record. It must lures in quite some profit. Anyways, it will find its audience. I may one day find myself craving some delicious bishonen.


Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara


[Light Novel] ANN | PV
Director: Ayumu Watanabe
Series Composition: Takashi Aoshima
Genre: comedy, romance, school, harem
Synopsis: 
"Hatate Sota is a high school boy, who has an ability to visualize "flags" for future events such as "death flag," "friendship flag," and "romance flag." Despite the flag-viewing ability, he avoids making friends with others due to a trauma he experienced in a ship submergence accident. Four beautiful girls get interested in his strange way of living, and they begin to live with him at the school dorm by force."

Expectation: none
Let's just say I couldn't even make it through the PV. Red flags, red flags everywhere. Another shameless self-fulfilment show.   



Kenzen Robo Daimidaler


[Manga] ANN | PV
Studio: TNK
Director: Tetsuya Yanagisawa
Series Composition: Takao Yoshioka
Genre: action, comedy, sci-fi
Synopsis:
"The comedy centers around a high school boy named Madanbashi Kouichi who has Hi-ERo particles, the power source to operate the robotic weapon Daimidaler.

With the help of Sonan Kyouko from the mysterious Prince Beauty Parlor organization, he stands up against the Penguin Empire that troubles humanity."


Expectation: none
This is clearly trying too hard to be ridiculous. Yoshioka previously penned Queen's Blade and Ikki Tousen. Not exactly hard to guess the direction this will take. 



Kiniro no Corda: Blue♪Sky


[Other] ANN | PV
Studio: TYO
Director: Kōjin Ochi
Series Composition: Takahiro Natori
Genre: drama, romance, shoujo
Synopsis:


Expectation: none
Bishounen harem. If I can already infer the personality stereotype from the cover art, then it's really not offering anything new. 









Mahou Shoujo Taisen


[Original] ANN | PV
Studio: GAINAX
Director: Ayano Ohnoki
Series Composition: Kazuho Hyodo
Genre: action, magic, tournament 
Synopsis:
""Mahou Shoujo Taisen" is a project created from a variety show for the Otaku "2.5 Chigen TV" (2.5 Dimension TV). The characters are the mahou shoujo that represents each local town in Japan. The characters that won from the second illustration competitions that were held on pixiv will appear in the anime."

Expectation: low
I guess the concept is kind of neat, but it also leads me to believe it's going style over substance. A project grew out of a variety show doesn't sound too promising on the narrative side of things. Gainax is producing the show, which practically means nothing these days given the sorry state the studio is in. With a newbie director with almost no experience and a relatively unknown writer steering the ship, I don't see myself being won over any time soon. We might not even get much of a plot here. At least, I think it will be pretty to look at it. I like the designs – not exactly subtle, but eye candies rarely are.  


Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei


[Novel] ANN | PV PV2
Director: Manabu Ono
Series Composition:
Genre:
Synopsis:
"Magic is a product of neither legends nor fairy tales, but instead has become a technology of reality since a time unknown to people. Supernatural power became a technology systematized through magic, while magic became a technical skill. A "Supernatural Power User" became a "Magic Technician." Magic Technicians (in short, Magicians) are nurtured through Magic High Schools and Universities."

Expectation: low
Nothing to rave about – generic premise, flimsy animation, a director whose works don't mean a thing to me. I'm wary of seeing Madhouse and "mahou" in the same line. I don't think they have ever raised a good anime out of a "mahou" premise and I'm afraid this show will likely be relegated to the trash pile. Madhouse has always been an inconsistent studio, but they seem to have grown more so in recent years. A pity, I have a lot of love for the studio.


Majin Bone


[Original] ANN | PV
Studio: Toei Animation
Director:
Series Composition:
Genre: sci-fi
Synopsis:
"Anime adaptation of the Majin Bone, a digital card game project."

Expectation: none
One of those outliers no one will watch. Skipped. 




Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to


[Manga] ANN | PV
Studio: ZEXCS
Director: Takeshi Furuta
Series Composition: Aki Itami
Genre: comedy, seinen, slice of life, ecchi
Synopsis:
"A life description about the mangaka Aito Yuuki and his assistant Ashisu Sahoto. Aito doesn't understand the feelings of the characters in his stories so he asks Ashisu to help him. Ashisu would do anything for the work—she will even let him touch her breast so he will know how it feels like?! The Habit?! The Pervert?! Can we understand them? That's the comedy of a mangaka life."

Expectation: none
Seinen + slice of life + ecchi = automatically condemned to the graveyard of no return.  




Mekakucity Actors


[Original] ANN | PV1 PV2 PV3 PV4 PV5 PV6 PV7 
Studio: SHAFT
Director: Akiyuki SimboYuki Yase
Series Composition:
Genre: comedy, romance, sci-fi, supernatural 
Synopsis:
"Shintaro Kisaragi, a HikiNEET who shut himself inside his room for 2 years, had been living his life normally until he met a cyber girl named Ene, who appeared in his computer screen when someone anonymously sent him a mysterious e-mail one year ago. One day, Ene messes with Shintaro's PC which causes him to go outside for the first time in two years."

Expectation: medium
Not the most original premise, but rarely anything is these days. It's all going to come down to execution. It's an original series produced by Shaft, which means Akiyuki Simbo is at the helm like always. Shaft must pays this guy handsomely for him to be single handedly driving every one of its production. No seriously, the lack of diversity in the creative team is almost baffling. But no matter, I still think it could be one of the most promising shows this season, and with Shaft taking full responsibility for the design, I don't doubt we will be treated to some crazy visuals. We already get a glimpse of the wonderful character design from the PV. Of course, it's not saying much considering how thin the lineup is for Spring standard, but let's wait for it. 


Mushishi Zoku Shou


[Manga/Sequel] ANN | PV
Studio: Artland
Director: Hiroshi Nagahama
Series Composition:
Genre: adventure, mystery, fantasy
Synopsis:
""Mushi": the most basic forms of life in the world. They exist without any goals or purposes aside from simply "being." They are beyond the shackles of the words "good" and "evil." Mushi can exist in countless forms and are capable of mimicking things from the natural world such as plants, diseases, and even phenomena like rainbows."

Expectation: high
I'm on my way to finishing the first season and will get back to it promptly after I'm done labouring over this preview. Mushishi is a contemplative and profound piece of work that's beautiful in so many ways. I like almost everything about it. It's such a quiet series in sound and colour, but it harbors and able to draw out such intense emotions. I'm not sure why it took me so long to pick it up given how many recommendation I got over the years, but I'm glad it was brought back to my attention. This is definitely the only safe bet of the season so far. Lucky for me, I didn't have to wait 8 years for more Mushishi goodnesss.


No Game No Life


[Light Novel] ANN | PV
Director: Atsuko Ishizuka
Series Composition: Jukki Hanada
Genre: adventure, comedy, supernatural, ecchi
Synopsis:
"The story of No Game, No Life centers around Sora and Shiro, a brother and sister whose reputations as brilliant NEET (Not in Education, Employment, or Training) hikikomori (shut-in) gamers have spawned urban legends all over the Internet. These two gamers even consider the real world as just another "crappy game." One day, they are summoned by a boy named "God" to an alternate world. There, God has prohibited war and declared this to be a world where "everything is decided by games"—even national borders. Humanity has been driven back into one remaining city by the other races. Will Sora and Shiro, the good-for-nothing brother and sister, become the "Saviors of Humanity" on this alternate world? "Well, let's start playing.""

Expectation: low
Another show rehashing the augmented reality trope. There is too much moeblob – and not just for design purposes I suspect – for me to take it seriously. I also want to steer clear upon seeing the ecchi tag. Atsuko Ishizuka (Beyond the Boundary, K-On!, Chunibiyou), a KyoAni regular is on director duty, along with a Madhouse veteran on script. Definitely an interesting team. 


Ping Pong The Animation


[Manga] ANN | PV1
Director: Masaaki Yuasa
Series Composition:
Genre: Sports
Synopsis:
"Makoto Tsukimoto (nicknamed Smile) is a quiet high-schooler who's been friends with the loud and energetic Yukata Hoshino (nicknamed Peco) since childhood. They're both in the local table tennis club and both have a natural talent for it, although Smile's personality always enables him from winning against Peco. The club teacher, however, notices Smile's talent and tries to make him gain some sportive tenacity."

Expectation: medium
As soon as I see Masaaki Yuasa's name, I know we are in for a trippy ride. He has previously directed Kaiba and Tatami Galaxy, both are highly distinct, artistic shows that demand a lot open-mindedness to appreciate. He's an accomplished director with an eccentric vision. I'll be honest, it can be very hard to sit through Masaaki's works because of their esoteric nature. You can get very lost in the abstract narrative and visuals. The unique, impressionist art style of this show here is already setting itself apart from other sports series (and we have several this season). I may not be the biggest fan of Ping Pong, but I am interested to see how Masaaki Yuasa handles a subject that's more grounded than the ones he has previously worked with, so bring it on. 


Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin


[Novel] ANN | PV1 PV2
Studio: A-1 Pictures
Director: Kanta Kamei
Series Composition: Hideyuki Kurata
Genre: comedy, romance, supernatural
Synopsis:
"The story centers around the treasure of Nanana, a ghost who was once a beautiful but NEET (Not in Education, Employment or Training) girl. 

A boy named Juugo was disowned by his father and forced to transfer to a high school on the "Special Student Zone," an artificial island. With only 40,000 yen a month to live on, Juugo chooses a low-rent apartment that happens to be haunted by Nanana. Juugo and members of the school's adventure club join a "treasure hunt royale" on the island for the Nanana Collection, a treasure that possesses a mysterious power."


Expectation: medium
Brought to you by A-1 Pictures and the director of Usagi Drop. I seem to have a soft spot for ghosts and lingering spirits. Yeah, it's a familiar concept, but the unrest of a ghost always makes for good drama (most of the time). Going by the synopsis and the "comedy" tag, I think the show is taking a rather lighthearted approach to this ghost phenomena. A-1 Pictures is a good studio that picks up interesting projects, their last novel adaption being Shinsekai Yori, a hauntingly beautiful series. I'm not expecting a colossal budget, but I am expecting a engaging story. 


Sudden Death


[Manga] ANN | PV
Studio: GAINAX
Director:
Series Composition:
Genre: comedy, slice of life, school
Synopsis:
"The story revolves around Koume who enters a private high school. She hears from her friend Sasuga that if she enters the tea ceremony club, she can eat snacks. They bring along their classmates Mikaeru and Momiji to join the club with her. The president of the club is 11th grader Ayame."

Expectation: none
Wait...let me get this straight..they entered the club to eat free snacks? I have to say that's a pretty legit motivation. Anyways, we really don't know enough about the show other than it's a slice of life comedy produced by Gainax. I have no desires to give it a try. 


Seikoku no Dragonar


[Light Novel] ANN | PV
Studio: C-Station
Director: Shunsuke Tada
Series Composition: Noboru Kimura
Genre: comedy, fantasy, ecchi
Synopsis:
"Learning to ride and tame dragons comes easy to most students at Ansarivan Dragonar Academy—except for first-year student Ash Blake, who is known by his fellow classmates as the "number one problem child." Poor Ash is the laughing stock at school because, despite his unfashionably large star-shaped brand that marks him as a future dragon master, he has nothing to show for it. His dragon has never appeared.

Until now, that is. One fateful day, Ash's dragon awakes in full glory, but appears different than any dragon ever seen before—in the form of a beautiful girl! What's worse, Ash soon discovers that this new dragon has attitude to spare, as she promptly informs him that she is the master, and he, the servant.

Ash's problems with dragon riding have only just begun."


Expectation: none
A show pandering to the niche population. It's even got an interesting premise to cloak some of its intentions – but those huge bouncy boobs give it away. Different pot, the same ingredients. Shameless as always.


Selector Infected WIXOSS


[Original] ANN | PV
Studio: J.C.Staff
Director: Satou, Takuya 
Series Composition: 
Genre: Game, Psychological
Synopsis: 
"Hope, desire, greed.

Girls with each of these feelings in their hearts are being swallowed into the vortex of a dangerous game..."

Expectation: low
PV is eerie and oddly annoying. Another battle royale concept? Not enough information to comment. I will watch the premiere to get an idea of what it's about. 





Sidonia no Kishi


[Manga] ANN | PV1 PV2
Director: Kobun Shizuno
Series Composition: Sadayuki Murai
Genre: adventure, sci-fi, fantasy
Synopsis:
"It's been a thousand years since the Gauna, a strange alien race with no known method of communication, destroyed the solar system. A portion of humanity managed to escape using enormous "seed ships" like the Sidonia, which have allowed them to maintain the population while drifting through space. Nagate Tanikaze is a young man who has been raised deep in the bowels of the ship. When he goes into training to pilot the huge robotic weapons known as Gardes, Nagate is entrusted with piloting the legendary unit known as Tsugumori. Nagate and his fellow pilots put their lives on the line against the Gauna, in the ultimate battle for the survival of humanity!"

Expectation: medium 
Because of how anonymous the production company is, this initially escaped my radar. The problem with mecha series is that one way or another, they all sound frustratingly similar on paper. Generally speaking, most of them are concocted with any combination of these themes – apocalypse/post apocalypse, alien race, a destined hero and of course, giant robots. Disregarding the generic premise (which as I said, doesn't say a lot), I like the feel of this show, the designs are modest and restrained. It's tonally and visually darker than Captain Earth, the other mecha show I'm interested in. I usually like my mechs a bit more vibrant, but meh, it's a dark show and I take what I can get. We have some real talent on script, Sadayuki Murai has done a slew of interesting and prominent works – Kino no Tabi, Prefect Blue and Millennium Actress among them. The fact that he has penned two Satoshi Kon films is enough to get me quite excited. Being a production studio that specializes in CG, I'm afraid we won't be spared. Just thinking about how much CG is going to be involved makes me cringe. 


Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii


[Manga] ANN | PV
Studio: Pierrot
Director: Hajime Kamegaki
Series Composition:
Genre: adventure, comedy, romance, fantasy
Synopsis:
"Nike, the fourth princess of the Rain Dukedom and one who holds the power to call forth the rain, travels to the Sun Kingdom to marry Sun King Livius for her country, despite her own reluctance. She soon discovers that the King, who conquered the world in only three years after his ascendance to the throne, is still a child! Furthermore, for trivial reasons, he has demanded that Nike call forth the rain...?!"

Expectation: low 
Again, nothing stands out. This is yet another maybe/maybe not show, and we sure have them in abundance in this lineup. The premise itself is bland and it has a lot of room to go from mediocre to plain bad. The only work I've seen from the director is Fushigi Yugi, a classic but problematic show on so many levels. I guess I will watch the premiere. 


Soul Eater Not!


[Manga] ANN | PV
Studio: BONES
Director: Masakazu Hashimoto
Series Composition: Masakazu Hashimoto
Genre: action, comedy, supernatural
Synopsis: 
"Soul Eater Not! is a side-story to the main series, focusing on a freshman halberd named Tsugumi Harudori, who befriends two other meisters, Meme Tatane and Anya Hepburn. All three take part in the NOT (Normally Overcome Target) class at DWMA and learn to control their powers in order to overcome their difficulties to have a normal life, as opposed to the battle-oriented EAT (Especially Advanced Talent) class taken by Maka, Soul, and their companions."


Expectation: low
Well, it is certainly not what I've been hoping from Bones when they announced the new version of a "familiar" title. A lot of people want a Soul Eater brotherhood, I guess I'm one of them, but I also knew the chances were pretty slim given how new the show is and how much the manga the anime actually covered. It would be frankly quite redundant to remake the first 38 episodes. I was hoping for Darker than Black third season or something along the line. But here we have it, Soul Eater Not, a comedy spin-off. Can't say I'm hyped and Bones doing anything remotely moe makes me uncomfortable. I will watch the first episode so see if the humour clicks because it seems to be the driving force here.  


Notable Sequel
Expectation: none
I didn't watch the first season, I got no reason to watch the second.

No comments:

Post a Comment