Saturday, October 6, 2012

2012 Fall Season - First Episode Impression Part I

For detailed season preview click here 

With the new season in full swing, I thought I would do a "first episode impression" post to get started. I will only be previewing series I'm absolutely interested for, that's about 7-8 show if I get around to put together my thought. Here is Part I. 

Zetsuen no Tempest

Synopsis: 
"Mahiro Fuwa, a teenager whose family was mysteriously murdered a year ago, is contacted by Hakase Kusaribe, a young woman who stands against her clan since they left her stranded on a deserted island. As the two decide to help each other, Hakase's quest to oppose her clan brings to light that the Kusaribe clan intends to awaken the "Tree of Zetsuen" whose power can bring chaos upon the entire world."

My Thought: 
That was definitely a great opening, better than what I had in mind. Besides depicting the first chapter of the manga, Bones introduced a couple of original scenes that really enhanced the overall feel of the characters. The pacing is fast, but not incoherent, demonstrating solid directing from beginning to end. The highlight of the episode is probably not the plot, as it's still in its initial stage, appearing somewhat generic and perhaps a little over the top in the drama department,  the animation and music is what took my breath away. With beautifully choreographed action sequences, which exude both energy and grace, Bones once again flaunts its expertise and confidence in the domain. Similarly, the landscapes are equally crafted with detail. The orchestral soundtrack in the background compliments the scenes perfectly, setting the kind of atmosphere that's essential for successful story telling. Given the premise, I could not have asked for a better execution for an opening episode.

Interest Level: High


K
Synopsis:
"Set in a world where history has taken a slightly different course from the one we're familiar with, K follows the story of a young boy whose life is caught in a psychic war between seven kings.

Ashinaka High School is known for its unique setting: the entire campus is built on an island. Yashiro Isana, aka Shiro, is having lunch with a cat on one of the school rooftops. After his lunch break, Shiro goes on an errand for his classmate Kukuri to prepare for their upcoming school festival, only to be chased by some intimidating-looking men. "


My Thought: 
I'm not sure what to make of the first episode. The plot seems to be going in all kinds of directions, and some are not necessarily good. That blush on Yashiro's face as he was clearly in awe of the feminine beauty of Kuro has me quite alarmed. Because as far as I can tell, Yashiro is a guy. I'm not homophobic, but I'm not fond of blatant fanservices either. I guess we shall see if the show intends to make something out of it in a couple more episode. All we know at this point is that there are two opposing fractions who are both interested in this Yashiro guy who seems to be somewhat clueless but unfazed about the attention he's getting. As to why he's being pursued, given what was revealed near the end, we can make some interesting speculations. Overall, the intrigue is most certainly there, enough to keep me coming back for another episode, but the directing is a little scattered. In some of the scenes, the group of characters wore irritated expressions while moving in almost slow motion, giving me the feeling that the show is deliberately trying to sell them as cool delinquents. Well, the animation is pretty to say the least, albeit rendered with a tinge of blue that takes some getting used to. 

Interest Level: Medium 

Btooom!
Synopsis:
"The story centers around Ryūta Sakamoto, a NEET (Not in Education, Employment, or Training) young man and a top-ranked player in the online combat game Btoom! One day, he wakes up on a tropical island without remembering how he got there. He sees a figure in the distance and asks for help. However, the figure responds by throwing something at Ryūta — a "BIM" bomb. In that moment, Ryūta comes to realize two things: one, his own life is in danger, and two, he is now in the world of Btoom!"

My Thought
It was an excellent episode delivering fast-paced plot with intense actions, exactly the type of directing I was hoping for. The show clearly falls right into Madhouse's line of expertise, displaying just about everything the studio is known for – psychological struggles, violence, and lots of suspense. For the record, Madhouse is the most experienced studio when it comes to seinen, no one does it better. No exception here, this episode is the work of a team who knows what they are doing. Everything comes off as well structured, down to the last detail. It's dramatic but not overblown, it's wild but not illogical. The character's string of thoughts was easy to follow and relatable on an emotional level, even if he does seem like a pathetic loser at this point. I was initially worried about where the show intended to go with a very overused premise, but my concerns have been cleared to some degree. Sure the concept sounds familiar with the characters locked in a battle royale, but unlike many shows where magical power factors a lot into the outcome of the game, the system in Btooom! seems to demand strategic planning to win, evident during Ryota's confrontation with his first rival. It makes an exciting watch if outwitting others is the key to success. I hope Btooom! continues to surprise me with its epic-ness, it sure started with a bang. 

Interest Level: High 

Shin Sekai Yori 
Synopsis:
"About one thousand years into the future, civilization has been retrograded and humans are living dispersed within small communities. People in this era have a psychic power called "Juryoku" which materializes things they imagine. In the absence of advanced scientific technology, people are using this power as a major source of energy. One day, a girl called Saki, along with her friends, finds a small archive robot outside the town. It records the ancient history of humans. It tells them that Juryoku was found in the 21st century and the discovery caused a world war between psychics and non-psychics. The psychics won this war and thus their reign of terror began. When the adults in town figure out that the children discovered this forbidden knowledge, they seal their Juryoku and exile them. Saki and the others end up in a forest where they meet a huge hairless bipedal mouse known as a "Bakenezumi" and get involved in a violent war the creatures are currently engaged in."

My Thought
We've really got some dark themed shows this time around, and Shin Sekai is the creepiest one yet. I liked the first episode, while nothing makes sense, the mysterious vibe has me under its spell. For shows built on an apocalyptic theme, it's almost expected for the story to be set in a world with hyper-modern landscapes running on advanced technologies, but Shin Sekai Yori subverts the notion and instead presents a world that resembles the pre-modern Japan in many ways. For that alone, this show has a lot of potential to break new ground. Not much has happened plot wise, the killing spree shown at the beginning of the episode is no doubt related to the mysterious power people acquired 1000 years into the future, and the wheel of fortune seems to be turning once again with our main character having witnessed something menacing. Her mother's concerns, the disappearance of her classmate, and the barrier set up around the village all seem rather suspicious and intriguing. In terms of animation style, it's not bad but it's not spectacular. I do have a gripe with the character design, the eyes are way too huge, to the point of being a little distracting, though I guess it's not unbearable. Well, that's where things stand as of now, the premiere was great and it's definitely worth sticking with. 

Interest Level: High

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Synopsis:
"Mizutani Shizuku is the type of person who only cares for her own grades. But when she accidentally delivers lesson notes to Yoshida Haru, he becomes convinced they are friends. Haru turns out to have a very innocent personality, but who would've thought that Haru would actually confess to Shizuku? A cold-hearted girl and super-troublemaker romance with a fresh new perspective."

My Thought
Oh wow, that was an excellent episode, every minute was used to great effect. I was initially under the impression that this is going to be another one of those typical shojo stories in both shape and form, but oh boy, it turned out to be utterly refreshing even with all the usual tropes accounted for. The overarching theme remains that of two people with contrasting personalities falling in love, but the actual execution of the premise surprised me at every turn. In retrospect, a lot of things have happened in this episode, more than what I thought was capable in twenty minutes, but it didn't feel rushed or  disjointed; in fact, the episode went by so quickly that I wanted more after that wild ride. It left me quite breathless, literally and figuratively. Why you ask? Well, for one thing it was decidedly hilarious. Yes, the tropes are still there, but  they were instilled with a good amount of wit and quirkiness that was downright fun to watch. The character dynamic was also full of energy and surprises. Just when I anticipated a scene to play out in a certain way, it ends up throwing me off and makes me rethink about what to expect in the future. Now I call that excellent directing. In terms of animation style, I love it through and through. We have a season populated by shows with insane production values, but Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun stands out with its pencil sketch quality that we don't see very much of in anime these days. Anyhow, seems like the Fall is off to a solid start, with every show I've watched thus far offering something new to the table. The team behind Durarara!! and Baccano! really does not disappoint. In a season flush with shojo adaptions, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is no doubt the one to keep out for, and I almost want to bet on it being the best shojo this year. 


Interest Level: High 


2 comments:

  1. ty for reviewing the 1st episodes~! I enjoyed reading them all, the ones you have high level of interests in I'll try watching them in the future. (hopefully soon I mean) xD Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is an interesting manga I am currently following but the pace of the manga is definitely not as fast as you say in the review, tho I probably have to reaffirm that by watching it. All in all, it's a good selection of animes you picked so hopefully I can have the same degree of interesting in them. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so busy these days to invest time into writing these things..>.<...I don't know how regular bloggers do it, I really don't. Anyways, Part II is still coming, I still haven't mentioned Magi, Say I love You (don't remember the Jap name, but I'm sure you've read the manga, it's quite out there.), Code:Breaker and the two Noitamina shows by Production I.G, which haven't been released yet.
    But yeah, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is great so far. I didn't think a shojo could be this funny. xDD..I kind of want to read the manga, but at the same time I feel like I should wait for the episodes to come out since it's good to be surprised.

    ReplyDelete